We’re all victims of overthinking, aren’t we?
Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts, there’s no stopping it.
We love thinking, we assume it’s productive, which it is but then we to drop down to a layer of theories and imagination that takes up too much of our time.
The problem could be a ‘Level 1’ issue, but our overthinking will take it to ‘Level 20’ in our mind.
However, is there a way to stop it?
Not entirely, there’s no easy way out.
What can we do?
– You need to train your mind, day in day out; it’s a long process to reach a point where you consciously become aware of your thought/s and when to divert from it. This comes in the form of meditation.
– Start by rethinking what you just thought and whether it was worth it or not, that process will start making you aware of your thoughts.
– Have a specific time allotted for the deep thought process when you think about your future plans/ tasks/ actions/ current problems etc (time wise/ work wise/ action wise) and not to proceed down that path at any different time.
– Apart from what you can do internally, what helps externally is execution. Execute at a level where you don’t have the time to think. Planning and scheduling, yes, but with execution a time will come when there won’t be enough time to overthink anything.
– Also, what helps the best is music, another form of mediation. Music has the power to sway our minds from any situation and not let it distract us. What are the occasions when you start over thinking? Substitute those occasions with music and see the difference.
It’s a gradual move; neither of these methods bring you immediate results, but you always start with step 1 and build it from there.